Former President of Guyana Dr. Bharrat Jagdeo called for a new model to determine the economic value of biodiversity and ecosystem services. Jagdeo hailed the efforts of the Congress to highlight the value of biodiversity in the Guiana Shield but called for maximum actions to make biodiversity conservation part of public debate amidst the global policy failure. He highlighted five ways to do that:
- Getting the message on biodiversity conservation right
- Ensure the relevance of the message
- Have an effective means of communicating the message, especially to youth
- Educating policy makers on the issues, and
- Developing alternative pathways to sustainable development.